Be A Digital Adult
Most of us reading this post are adults. We take care of those around us, hold down jobs, pay bills, shower daily and do other things that are considered mature. We avoid the struggles of children: petty conflict, biting others, and openly weeping when our bananas break.
But the world has changed and done so quickly. There are new skills to be learned, and if you don’t keep up you will continue to act like a child while those around you move forward and have to take care of your weak childish self.
Let’s learn how to be a Digital Adult – an adult in this new data-rich age run on technology:
- Backup your computer, and all your pictures.
- Secure your stuff with real passwords. Two-Factor Authentication everything you care about.
- Protect your identity
- Turn off GPS-tagging on your phone
- Be careful who you accept requests from, and what you post on “non-invite” social media
Attention and Focus
- Manage your email like your time is valuable. Manage all of your time as if you live in an attention economy. Don’t waste your life watching other live theirs.
- Practice the ability to focus on actual work for long periods of time; what some call “Deep Work“
- Read things that people spent time making (like, I dunno, BOOKS), not crap like social media and celebrity gossip.
Accuracy of Information: News
You should read the news to know what is happening in the world, and not to be entertained. Read actual journalism, not things that are written as entertainment. A good metric of this is: would the person who wrote this go to jail for a source? Also: was this “paper” around 15 years ago? Does this site seem always to print things that feel like conspiracy “we just can’t be ahead” theories?
Some things to read about this further:
Accuracy of Information: Healthcare
There is a lot of good information about our bodies and how they work online. Also, we can learn more about nutrition, fitness, and injury prevention than we have ever been able to in the past. But there are a lot of for-profit health “care” information sites that are just pushing their solution.
See the below slideshow and ask yourself if a site is driven by profit or public good.
Now, go and be an adult. Don’t let the big scary people trying to steal your allowance and energy stop you from playing and working.
|I’m writing a book about successfully working from home; click here if you would like to know more.|